I tell stories with data. I’ve been a tech journalist for a decade, and I’ve been VP Research for VB Insight, Mobile Economist for TUNE, and VP Insights for Singular. I’ve also consulted with Fortune 500 companies and tech startups from Tel Aviv to Vancouver to San Francisco to China. And I’ve raised VC money from seed to multi-million rounds.
Here are a few of my specific services. If you’re interested in chatting, please scroll down to a contact form at the bottom of this page.
Most of my client engagements are measured in years, not months. I generally don’t do one-offs. If you just want a quick chat, you can grab small amounts of my time via Clarity.
- Thought leadership
- Lead generation
- Social media
- Executive speeches
- Blog posts
What most people neglect: the post-webinar opportunities to share insights and generate more attention and leads. I hope you exploit every last opportunity.
Most brands that do podcasts record, publish, and forget what they just did. That means they leave 90% of the value of podcasts untapped. I will show you how to unlock those missed opportunities.
- Explaining products or services
- Executive or thought leader interviews
- Promo videos
- Demo videos
- Case studies
- Company culture
Depending on needs and situations, I often build an integrated plan that incorporates multiple strategies. We usually starts with your data, and we may include surveying and interviewing. Once we have data, we can do long-form reports, short tactical extracts, supporting blog posts, and crafted social updates.
Startups, brands, enterprise
I help with branding and early story-telling for startups. As someone who’s written thousands of news articles and been pitched tens of thousands of times, I have a very good sense of when something is newsworthy, what is the most newsworthy part, and what might be missing from a press release.
How I work
I don’t do one-off consulting engagements, as these rarely provide the opportunity to make a significant and strategic impact. I generally do retainers, and most of my clients work with me for periods measured in years, not months.
From people that I’ve worked with …
Feel free to check out my LinkedIn endorsements and recommendations. Or, read a few words from people that I’ve worked with:
- “He really understood our brand and strategy as our business partner.”
- Jieun Kim, Product Development Manager, Disney
- “John provided great inspiration for our team … his ability to talk about the future as if it was now challenged our team to think innovatively.”
- Kurt Presler, CIO, Translink
- “You are an incredibly talented journalist and panel moderator. I’ve always enjoyed working with you.”
- Robert Brennan Hart, CEO, Canadian Cloud Council
- “A lucid thinker and inspiring presenter.”
- Georg Greve, Chairman, Vereign AG
- “He consistently produces awesome content (reports, articles, live presentations, webinars) leading to millions in new revenue.”
- Aaron Golden, Head of Technology Partnerships and Sales, HERE Technology
- “His depth of vision for the mobile tech landscape is, I think, quite unparalleled by anyone else I’ve worked with.”
- Scott Valentine, Senior Content Strategist, Two Hat Security
- “John is the ‘ne plus ultra’ … the real deal of old-school journalism combined with a keenly analytical mind as well as an encyclopedic knowledge of industry information.”
- Jonathan Hirschon, Principal, Horizon Communications
- “Equally adept on both the strategic and tactical levels, which is rare.”
- Nicolas Gaudreau, CMO, Groupe Dynamite
- “Extremely innovative and well read on the latest and greatest internet and mobile technologies.”
- Angela Robert, cofounder & CEO, Conquer Experience
- “It has always been a pleasure to work with John. I cannot remember a meeting with him where his trademarked laugh was not to be heard.”
- Arie Veenendaal, Owner, Kik Associates
- “John is the type of person who finds a way to turn a can’t into a can. He has tremendous energy and passion in helping others solve problems.”
- Brad Kuik, President, K2 Performance Management
- “John is smart, business savvy, tech savvy, and has an inherent sense of social media that just blows me away.”
- Aaron Hilton, President, Steampunk Digital
Want to work with me?
Let’s chat …