I speak at conferences, events, webinars, and meetups regularly.
Typically, my topics include: mobile, marketing and martech, advertising and adtech, PR and press, startups, AI, and IoT.
I’m also a frequent webinar facilitator or panel member. When leading VentureBeat’s research division, I would often lead 2-3 webinars a month.
Book me at Leade.rs
Check out my public profile at Leade.rs, where event organizers “find speakers who do things that matter.”
- April 5-6, Vancouver: CIMC
Will be doing a fireside chat with Microsoft Canada CMO Katia Houbiguian.
- April 23-24, Moscow: Skolkovo Robotics Forum 2018
Will be doing a keynote on “smart matter.”
- May 14-15, Banff: Control, by the Canadian Cloud Council
I will be interviewing Shark Tank’s Robert Herjavec on-stage.
- February 27-29, San Diego: LSA17: Local Search Association
I’ll be speaking on a panel at the Local Search Association in San Diego. Topic: Who owns the last mile, and I’ll has the happy task of telling local search pros that Alexa, Siri, Google Assistant, and Cortana just might be killing them.
- March 16, Los Angeles: LA Influencer Event
I’ll be moderating a discussion influencer marketing and mobile. See the livestream of the event here.
- April 19-20: App Masters
Will be sharing some very cool and very recent data on app store optimization, mobile ad fraud, and maybe even the impact of mobile on enterprise company valuations.
- May 4: Mobile Presence
Will be appearing on Peggy Anne Salz’ podcast. She’s the founder and CEO of Mobile Groove, a mobile and marketing-focused research and consulting firm.
- May 7-9, Edmonton: Substance
Will be interviewing the mayor of Edmonton, the CIO of City of Palo Alto, and the CEO of Citrix in the opening panel of the conference.
- May 10-12, San Diego: Gartner Digital Media Conference
- May 31-June 1: Traction Conference in Vancouver
Will be moderating a panel.
- July 5-7, secret location, AppLift conference
Will be speaking on the future of app marketing and doing a panel on ad fraud
- July 11, San Francisco, IOT Revolution Summit
Keynoting and MC’ing
- July 12, San Francisco, MobileBeat 2017
Moderating a panel on AI and travel
- July 19-21, Seattle: Postback 17 (use code FriendofJohn20 to get 20% off your ticket!)
MCing TUNE’s mobile event of the summer. Join me!
- August 1: Casual Connect Seattle
Participating on a panel: “Monetizing your App with Mobile’s Most Powerful Ad Format”
- September 13: App Valley (San Francisco)
MCing the event, and keynoting on “Apps in Ten: Games, Vision, Intelligence”
- September 14-15: Waterloo Innovation Summit
I blogged the event as well as interviewed Tesla CTO JB Straubel and other luminaries, such as Amber Case, Melissa Hathaway, and Kik CEO Ted Livingstone on-camera for the event organizers.
- November 6-10: Web Summit
Covered the event.
- November 30, Jamaica: TechBeach Retreat
I spoke on an AR/VR panel.
- February 7-8, San Francisco: Mobile Growth Summit
I’ll be speaking on a panel about augmented reality.
- February 13, San Francisco: Read-Write VIP dinners
I will be hosting and facilitating several VIP dinners and events for Read-Write.
- February 22, Kiev: The Elevate Conference
Will be speaking at the event on how journalists choose their stories.
Conferences that I have spoken at in the past include:
- Mobile Summit
- CMO Summit
- Local Search Association
- Mobile Marketing Association
- AdTech NY
- AdWeek NYC
- Interzone Vancouver
- Meltwater event
- Mobile Marketing Roadshow
- Grow Conference
Contact me via one of the social networks at top right to book speaking, webinar, and panel opportunities. Note that my speaking fee is typically $2,500 plus expenses.
Bio and pic …
Every conference asks for a bio and a picture … voila!
I’m a journalist, analyst, and corporate executive, and have chronicled the rise of the mobile economy. I currently write for Forbes and Inc, and consult extensively with top tech firms like TUNE and ReadWrite Labs. I built the VB Insight research division at VentureBeat and managed teams creating software for partners like Intel and Disney. In addition, I’ve led web development teams, built social sites and mobile apps, and consulted on mobile, social, and IoT projects. In 2014, I was named to Folio’s top 100 of the media industry’s “most innovative entrepreneurs and market shaker-uppers.”
I live near Vancouver, Canada with my family, where I coach baseball and hockey, though not at the same time. I travel frequently to Seattle, Silicon Valley, New York, and other tech hubs around the world.